Paperwork is the last thing you want to do, but …

In between the thank-you-card-writing and casserole-dish-returning — oh, and diapering and feeding and washing and stuff — new moms and dads also have some important paperwork.
Here are five necessary “legal to-do’s” for after Baby is born …
  • Apply for your your baby’s birth certificate. This must be issued by the province or territory (or state) where your baby is born.
  • Register your baby for a health card. You do this at the same time as their birth certificate.
  • Apply for your baby’s Social Insurance Number (SIN). Canadian residents can download the form online, and it is recommended that you apply in person (much faster).
  • Apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit. Woohoo! This is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. Am I eligible? God, I hope so.
  • Apply for your baby’s passport. Yup, even babies need ’em. And since Darling Husband and I love traveling to the U.S., our babe will need one, too. Forms can be downloaded here.
Note to my future self: I’m sure your brain is total mush now, but do this! It’s important!
Hmm, I think my cranky future self just told my smug, energetic non-pregnant self to shove it, and that she has no idea what is really important until a freaking diaper is leaking all over the living room.

So what do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: