My dog is my fur baby. I tell her so every day.
I firmly believe that dogs — and cats — are excellent training for real babies. They are a time commitment, a financial commitment. You need to love them, take care of them and be responsible for them.
So because I heart lists, here are the top 15 reasons that dogs are like babies:
- You arrange your social plans around their need to eat/pee/poo.
- You punish them when they are bad. Usually with time-outs.
- You vow that they will sleep in their own beds.
- Sleeping in their own bed lasted exactly two nights. Now they are in yours.
- You buy them speciality food, and wind up re-heating some frozen crap for yourself.
- You dress them in adorable outfits and accessories.
- Sometimes even little boots.
- You buy them a Doggie Stroller.
- Your husband is embarassed by the Doggie Stroller.
- You take photo after photo of them — and make Facebook albums.
- They have their own Christmas stocking. And pile of gifts.
- They have wicker toy baskets.
- You take them in the bath with you, and they have their own shampoo and fluffy towel.
- You arrange play-dates with other dogs.
- The play-dates always end with your dog pooing on the floor of your friend’s home.
I’m sure my relationship with Little Dog will change once we introduce a flesh baby into our family, but for now, she is my yummy angel.