What Charlotte wore …
It’s that time of year when I get *really* into dressing the kids for school in the cute new outfits I spent July and August sewing for them! I try to take a picture most mornings before school, at least of Charlotte (Dexter isn’t a fan of pictures these days).
So here’s a look at what she’s been wearing to school lately, along with a round-up on patterns, fabrics, upcycling, etc.
This is what she’s wearing today!
- Black and white top: A mishmash of fabrics in my stash + cut-up clothes, sewn with this T-shirt pattern (which is one of my most-used patterns)
- Mustard corduroy jumper: I made this from one of my favourite skirts (worn back when I was in an actual office). I cut off the belt-ish band to make the straps and the whole thing is made 100% using just the original skirt.
She wore this on Tuesday …
- Black bodysuit: Actually just her dance leotard from last year, sewn by mimicking an old bathing suit. I love the low back!
- Floral skirt: Pretty crepe floral fabric (Atlantic Fabrics) with a stretchy black waistband made from an old black T-shirt. Since the fabric was so thin, I doubled it up (leaving the fold at the bottom of the skirt) and gathered the waist before adding the waistband. No pattern required.
She wanted pants, not leggings! Her first pair, for sure. 😉
- Rose pants: I used this pants pattern (which I normally use for her brother) because I love how you can add a pop of colour in the pocket lining. They turned out a little snug so she might not wear them again — lesson learned! I’ll make a bigger size next time.
- Coral top: I made this T-shirt at least a year or two ago from an old T-shirt of my sister’s, using this pattern again. It matches a ton of stuff so she’s worn it a lot. I love the tiny pocket and the three-quarter sleeves.
- Glasses: Zenni Optical
- Blue-striped cardigan: A recent hand-me-down from our neighbour. I can never have too many cardigans for C!
- Blue corduroy jumper: Made with an old remnant someone gave me. It was quite a small piece so the jumper’s short. (She wore shorts underneath.)
- Floral top: I made this 1-2 years ago from the prettiest floral Art Gallery fabric, using this pattern shortened into top length. It’s reeeeeally short so I don’t think she’ll be able to wear it much longer.
- Glasses: Zenni Optical!
I wanted this to be her first-day-of-school outfit, but she wanted to wear a dress that day (see below) so this was Day 2.
- Red jumper: I made it from an old red minidress that belonged to my sister (the exposed zipper still runs up the whole back). I cut apart the dress’s bodice to make the two straps, and added a stretchy black waistband to keep it up.
- Heart blouse: I need to make more blouses because I love how this turned out! I used this old favourite pattern (which I used for all of D’s shirts until he outgrew the pattern), and the sweetest heart-printed cotton fabric from Atlantic Fabrics. Had to use it make matching bows, of course!
- Black cardigan: I recently hacked my own cardigan pattern (and made a tonnnnnn of ’em) using pieces from like three different patterns. Maybe I’ll do a post about it. It’s just black cotton-y knit, and you can’t tell in the pictures but I made a floppy black flower to decorate one side.
- Glasses: Zenni Optical!
Minecraft shirt for D:
This was Wear Pink Day (for anti-bullying awareness) and weirdly, I’d already laid out her outift days before I knew it was Pink Day.
No, she still hasn’t worn all of her newly-sewn clothes yet! 😉 It’s still September. We’ve got time!