New year, same-ish me
Happy 2014, Blogosphere!
Well, that was certainly a hiatus and a half, wasn’t it? I leave you with the world’s most awesome candy recipe (and caramel corn recipe), and then … just leave? What was up with that?
|Shared this on Instagram recently, and had to share it again here. They crack me up.
We had a great Christmas — lots of visiting, toys, missed naps, sugar-hyped kids — and spent a few days at my mom’s, and then came home where I spent six straight days indoors. Today was seriously the first time I left the house since Friday, and surprisingly I wasn’t even stir-crazy. I did a lot of baking, cleaning, organizing, sewing (a.k.a. my happy places) and it was nice.
Today is my first day “back at work” (See? That’s why I’m here!) but when you work at home, that’s not so much of a stretch. I have to say, I really enjoyed being off for 12 whole days. I felt like an actual stay-at-home-mom, who got to ENJOY naptimes and actually DO THINGS instead of just working during them.
I’m not a New Year’s resolution person, really, but there are a few things I’m going to start working towards … so maybe I *am* a resolution person? Who knows?
- I want to lose my post-breastfeeding poundage. Do I kind of wish I had never stopped breastfeeding? Yeah. Well, no. Not really. I just really hate the 7-10 lbs that immediately attached itself to my stomach as soon as I stopped. Right now I’m seven pounds heavier than my big “losing 60 lbs. milestone” and about 10 lbs. heavier than my lightest-ever weight. It’s so frustrating. Breastfeeding burns soooooo many calories, and yet it can’t last forever. *sadface* I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app and I’m really impressed with it — you can even scan barcodes right off a package and it will tell you the calories! — so maybe I can finally shed this weight. Maybe. *sulks* *opens Snickers bar*
- I want to floss every night. I get in phases where I’m really good at this, and then I fall off the flossy wagon and don’t do it for ages. I hate flossing. But I have a new dentist, and she’s really cool, so I don’t want to disappoint her. *sigh* *scowls at floss*
- I want to go on more date nights. Darling Husband and I have been on VERY few dates since becoming parents, because our families live an hour away and we didn’t have anyone to sit for the kids. But we now have access to an AWESOME local babysitter (the little sister of my good friend) and I adore her and trust her completely. So far we’ve only hired her so I could go to my gymnastics class, but one of our first priorities this month is to hire her so we can go on a date night!
- I want to FEEL more like a stay-at-home mom (while still being a work-at-home mom). Sometimes I think I spend so much energy being busy with work — and proving to people that I DO WORK, YOU KNOW, and I WORK A LOT — that I shy away from SAHM-y feelings so that the world believes I’m still a professional. Does that make any sense? I guess I’m just tired of having people THINK I’m just a SAHM who hangs around the house (when I’m actually a self-employed professional), and I’m just going to start embracing it a little more. I’m going to be strict about only working during work times — not making calls and responding to work emails as much when the kids are around — and really focusing on having SAHM-type fun with the kids. D is already three and a half, and C is going to be two in April. I only have three and a half more years of this gig, and then they’re both in school full-time and I’m back to work full-time. I need to stop trying to show the world that “I WORK, TOO!” and try to feel and act like a SAHM whenever I’m not working.
- I want to get back into creative writing. I love what I do, but it’s not very creative. I’d like to write another novel — the first novel, from way back before I was pregnant with D, is probably not going to get published. I’m beyond grateful to be writing professionally — as my primary source of income, even — but the dream was always to be a novelist. I’m not sure if that’s still the dream, but I’d like to look into it again.
What are all of you lovelies planning for 2014? Is anyone interested in starting a Snickers Anomymous chapter with me? We’ll meet on Thursdays in conjunction with the good folks (a.k.a. me) of Potato Chip Lovers Anonymous and M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Those Damn Doritos).