Hospital packing checklists
Remember when I went into the hospital last time and had a really deluded idea of what I would pack?
Well, as Darling Husband constantly reminds me, I packed … too much.
He has said MANY times, “We won’t be bringing HALF the amount of stuff to the hospital this time!”
To which I respond: “Yes, but last time I was in labour, so the bags were really full of LABOUR STUFF. Like … tennis balls. And my iPod stereo for mood music.”
To which he responds: “You’re packing lighter this time.”
So, I am.
Here are my very edited, pared-down lists of only essentials:
Baby Girl’s hospital bag:
- Newborn onesies and sleepers
- 0-3 onesies and sleepers
- Little pink socks
- Soothers & soother clip
- Blanket (cute pink one?)
- Disposable newborn diapers (few — because the hospital will have lots)
- Disposable wipes (few — becaues you use washcloths in the hospital)
My hospital bag:
- Yoga pants & leggings
- Tank tops & nursing tanks
- Loose tees
- Nursing bras
- Underwear (ugly maternity ones)
- Pink polkadot nightgown
- Makeup bag
- Nursing pads & nipple cream
- Travel bag (add full-sized toothpaste and toothbrush, face moisturizer, body moisturizer, deodorant, chapsticks)
- Hair clips and elastics
- Mouthguard case (with retainer, mouthguard for sleeping)
- Giant gross pads for Gross Bleedingness
- Charging cord for phone
- Camera (with charging plug thing)
- Laptop (with charging cord)
- Water bottle
- Snacks (granola bars, mini Pringles cans, Snickers)
- Boomerang nursing pillow
- Pillow with Hello Kitty case
- Shorts, T-shirts, underwear for Darling Husband
- Darling Husband’s toiletries
How is this less stuff than last time? … Um … Oh, I know!
Stuff I am not bringing this time that I DID bring last time:
- Robe (didn’t wear last time)
- Slippers (wore once, opted for socks instead)
- Tennis balls (no labour = no need)
- iPod & stereo (no labour = no need)
- Eau Thermale mister
- Digital video camera (camera does video, so does phone)
- Sudoku puzzles for Darling Husband (no time)
See? Totally pared-down list!
I really must start packing soon, just in case I go into labour early like last time. The baby’s bag is easy, because she’s not here to use anything yet.
But my bag is trickier. I WEAR the clothes I’ll be packing, and I USE the toiletries I’ll be packing. I think I will do what I did last time — have the pack semi-packed, in the bedroom, but left open. Then I can use items, wash them, and put them back right away.
Oh crap. Just remembered I have to pack a bag for the toddler, too, since he’ll be staying at my mom’s while we’re in the hospital.
- Pack of disposable Pampers (will resume cloth once we’re home)
- Pack of disposable wipes
- Few pairs of PJs
- Talking “Scout” stuffed puppy
- Toy Aquarium
- Thomas The Tank Engine quilt
- Soothers (don’t judge!)
- Few sippy-cups
- Baby shampoo
- Memory stick with favourite TV shows (Signing Time, Bubble Guppies, Dora)
- Few favourite books (Dora, Thomas, First Words, etc.)
- Few toys (balls, toolbox?)
- List of instructions (must write!)
I wonder if we have enough suitcases for all of this …