Riding in cars with boys a boy

Breaking news: I drove our car for the first time in more than FIVE WEEKS. Woohoo!

Technically, I am not supposed to drive until Sunday — the official six-week point — but I was going completely stir-crazy have been feeling great for a while now, so I took the plunge and drove for the first time yesterday.
It felt like I was 16 all over again, getting my full license and taking out my mom’s car for the first time. Total freedom!
Of course, Darling Husband and I only have the one car, so taking it meant that I had to drive him to work first. And that meant that I had to have Baby Boy up, dressed, changed, and fed — and myself washed, dressed and fed — by a certain time. Yikes!
It worked out well. We needed to leave at 7:30 a.m., and I had gotten up with Baby Boy for a feeding at 6 a.m. I was able to get both of us ready in time, and Darling Husband drove us all to his office.
It was a weird feeling when he walked through the doors and left us in the parking lot. I hadn’t driven in more than five weeks, and I had never driven with Baby Boy. Up until that point, I’d actually been sitting in the backseat with him. Couldn’t do that any longer! But what if he spit up and choked on it? I wouldn’t be able to reach him. Eeeeeeeeek.
I made sure his little mirror was adjusted perfectly, so I could see him whenever I looked in the rearview mirror. But I didn’t have time for much more worrying. He was half-awake — and waking up more every second! — so I put the pedal to the metal and drove away, so he’d go back to sleep.
I was doing it! I was driving! With a baby! Who knew?
Once I had tasted freedom, outside the four walls of our condo, I just couldn’t go back. We went to Wal-Mart on a very important mission to buy Darling Husband underwear (after I’d begged him to come up with something useful we could buy), and buy Baby Boy some Nuk soothers (my mom was not pleased with the Avent ones, and I was sick of defending them) and a rattle (surprisingly, he didn’t own one).
After Wal-Mart, we spent a couple of hours at my mom’s. Then we spent a couple of hours with Darling Husband’s mom. And then it was time to pick up Darling Husband. We hadn’t been home once, and it was brilliant! Instead we saw PEOPLE and TREES and CARS and STUFF and OMIGOD I AM SO SICK OF BEING STUCK IN THE CONDO.
Needless to say, Baby Boy and I took the car again today. We discovered that we kind of LOVE getting out together.

So what do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: