POP! goes the preggo
Friday, January 15, 2010
19 weeks, 5 days preggo
I will always remember Week 20
as the week that I got slapped in the face with pregnancy. Not in a bad way, but in a “Holy crap, I’m pregnant!”/reality-is-setting-in kind of way. It’s been pretty cool, actually, to see myself change so suddenly!
Just in the course of this week …
- I popped. My stomach went from yeah-she-is-probably-pregnant-but-not-enough-to-say-anything to a full, rock-hard, undeniably round pregnant belly. I still can’t believe how it seemed to pop overnight. It’s hard, people! And roundddd!
- I began grunting. Yeah, it’s super-attractive. When I get up from a seated position, or sit down, I automatically let out a little grunt from the effort. The cause? My newfound beachball stomach (see previous bullet point).
- I can’t bend at the waist. When I drop something and need to pick it up, I bend at the knees and sort of lower myself to the ground. And yeah, grunt.
- It’s hard to roll over. I used to toss and turn and move around all night. These days? Once the pillows are in formation, I fall asleep on my right side — and stay there. When I wake up for my middle-of-the-night pee break, I re-arrange the pillows and go back to sleep on my left side. Moving around is too hard, and well …
- I can’t lie on my back. Seriously — can’t! I laid down on the carpet the other day to play with Little Dog, and when I tried to get up, I felt like I would tear a nerve in my back. It’s weird.
- I feel like there’s a bowling ball in my shirt. I always wondered what it would feel like to be pregnant, and so far, I think the answer is “bowling ball.” When I walk across a room, I feel like my normal self, except for a huge round weight right in my stomach. The extra weight literally feels like someone strapped something around my middle.
It’s been quite the week, hasn’t it? Right now I am especially grateful that it’s Friday afternoon. I’m looking forward to resting this giant belly on the couch!