Obsessed with nesting
Sunday, January 3, 2010
18 weeks pregnant!
I can’t believe I’m in week 19! The halfway mark is fast approaching. It still seems like June is sooo far away (even though I am due in the first week), but when I consider that I’ve (technically) been pregnant since Aug. 31, I guess time really is flying!
Here are the important dates coming up (soon!):
- January 13: OBGYN appointment
- January 18: Ultrasound!
- February 2: 3D ultrasound to find out the sex!
Apologies for being MIA this past week. I was off from work (thank God), and I’m happy to say that I really make good use of the time. I can say for sure that nesting has slapped me in the face, because even though I’ve always loved organizing, I have never been this crazy about it before.
In the last six days, I have:
- Completely cleaned out Little Baby’s room (except for Darling Husband’s desk, which is moving this month)
- Dedicated one corner of the room to storing Little Baby’s current “stuff” (Christmas gifts, books, stuffed animals, frames and shelves I might use in then nursery)
- Overhauled my art closet and reorganized it
- Sent my art desk to Mom’s for storage — since there will be a crib in its place!
- Donated clothes/shoes to charity
- Cleaned out every kitchen cupboard (adding new organizers and tossing utensils/dishes I don’t use)
- Organized the medicine cabinet
- Overhauled our bedroom closet
- Emptied out our hallway closet and added new storage bins, drawers and a mat
- Went through our entertainment unit and put all the DVDs, video games and controllers into wicker baskets
- Cleaned out our storage room (with Darling Husband’s help)
I must say, this nesting thing is pretty nice. And the weird thing is, my motivation is twofold. Part of me is obsessed with decluttering so that we make room for the baby’s things (I’ve heard they have a lot of “stuff”).
But the labeling/organizing part seems to stem from knowing that people are going to be in my house after the baby is born.
Like a lot.
Like my mom. Like my in-laws. And our siblings. What if they offered to put on a load of laundry or something? My laundry closet has to be perfect! What if they offered to walk Little Dog? Well, of course her leash and poo-bags and wet-paw-towel must be organized in a way that anybody could find them easily. The cupboards must be tidy! The medicine cabinet must be easily navigated!
So I labeled. And tossed. And condensed.
Oh, but that wasn’t my entire week. After those icky two months of all-I-can-do-is-lie-on-the-couch (a.k.a The First Trimester), I have finally rediscovered my love of sewing. I think it also had to do with nesting, because I have been sewing up a storm all week.
In the past six days, I have made:
- 10 soft alphabet blocks
- 50 flannel wipes (8 inches x 8 inches)
- 10 double-sided flannel wipes (8 inches x 12 inches)
- 6 bibs
- 6 matching burp cloths
- A poo-bag dispenser for Little Dog’s leash
- A plastic grocery-bag dispenser (to neaten storage area)
You know what? A week ago, I never thought I would say this, but I think I’m actually ready to go back to work tomorrow. At least I’ll be forced to sit down for seven or eight hours. It might actually be relaxing.