Kiddie TV 101
I heart TV, I really do.
My taste runs mainly to trashy chick reality shows — America’s Next Top Model, The Simple Life, even the Denise Richards one — and retro chick shows — The Facts of Life, Kate & Allie.
But I also appreciate the finer points of childrens’ television. So, because I also heart making lists, here are the top 5 shows I’m kinda-sorta looking forward to watching as a mom …
- The Berenstain Bears: I was a hugggggge fan of the books — and still have them stashed in my closet, for my future kidlets — and the show is just plain good. They deal with real issues like the “gimmes,” and snarfing too much candy, and failing tests. Hard-core. My fave was The Berenstain Bears & Too Much Junk Food. I am so going to be like Mama someday, going on a rampage and throwing the Choco-Balls in the freezer.
- The Big Comfy Couch: I loved the Clock-run or whatever Lunette called that crazy stretch. I was always jealous of my little sister, because she could do it. Totally flexy. I find Lunette quite charming, and she’s probably my own age, which is cool. And the 10-Second Tidy probably — hopefully — teaches kids the importance of cleaning up …? Maybe?
- Blue’s Clues: A talking salt-and-pepper shaker couple with a kid named Paprika??? Genuis! Not to mention educating kids about cooking, spices, etc. The last time I caught it, Cute Steve had been replaced by some kind of cousin or brother. It’s probably still good, though. I enjoy the squeaky “Buurrrr-wow?” noises from Blue. It’s kind of how I imagine my own doggie sounds.
- Sesame Street: Have not watched in aggggggggges, but liked it very much as a kid, so I probably still do. Do they still have Maria and Luis and the Fix-It Shop? How much has changed, I wonder? I know Elmo’s like a huge break-out star. He was never that big a deal back in my days — just another bit player on the big ol’ Street.
- Barney & Friends: I haven’t watched it in years, but I’m guessing it hasn’t changed. I always liked the little Cathy one with the bear. And cute little Minn! I don’t know, something about this show just makes sense. Cute musical numbers, decent kid acting. I like it! Baby Bop and BJ annoy the crap out of me, but who knows? Maybe they’ve been written out.
Better warm up the DVR!